Cold sores are a common skin condition that can cause pain, discomfort and embarrassment. Fortunately, there are a variety of lip balms available that can help soothe and heal cold sores. In this article, we’ll discuss what cold sores are, what to look for in a lip balm, the top three lip balms for cold sores, the pros and cons of each, and tips for using lip balm on cold sores.
What Are Cold Sores?
Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are small, fluid-filled blisters that appear on the lips and around the mouth. They are caused by the herpes simplex virus and are highly contagious. Cold sores can be painful and can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
What To Look For In A Lip Balm
When looking for a lip balm to treat cold sores, it’s important to look for one with ingredients that can help soothe and heal the sores. Some ingredients to look for include:
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and healing properties that can help soothe and heal cold sores.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that can help reduce the pain and discomfort of cold sores.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps the skin heal and can reduce the appearance of cold sores.
- Shea butter: Shea butter is a natural moisturizer that can help keep the skin hydrated and reduce the appearance of cold sores.
Top 3 Lip Balms For Cold Sores
- Burt’s Bees Medicated Lip Balm: This lip balm is made with beeswax, tea tree oil, and menthol, which can help soothe and heal cold sores.
- Carmex Classic Lip Balm: This lip balm is made with camphor, menthol, and phenol, which can help reduce the pain and discomfort of cold sores.
- Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment: This lip ointment is made with menthol, phenol, and camphor, which can help soothe and heal cold sores.
Pros and Cons of Each Lip Balm
- Burt’s Bees Medicated Lip Balm:
Pros: Contains natural ingredients that can help soothe and heal cold s