Mounting a scope to a rifle can be a tricky task. A gun vise can be an invaluable tool for the job, providing a stable platform for the scope to be properly aligned and secured. In this article, we will look at the benefits of using a gun vise, the steps for mounting a scope with one, the tools you need, and tips for using a gun vise.
What Is a Gun Vise?
A gun vise is a specialized tool designed to securely hold a rifle in place while it’s being worked on. It has a wide base and a set of adjustable clamps to secure the rifle in place. It also has a built-in level to ensure that the rifle is level when being worked on. Gun vises are an invaluable tool for mounting scopes, as they provide a stable platform for the scope to be properly aligned and secured.
Benefits of Using a Gun Vise
- A gun vise provides a stable platform for mounting a scope.
- It ensures that the rifle is level when being worked on.
- It keeps the rifle secure and prevents any accidental movement.
- It can be used for other gunsmithing tasks like cleaning, maintenance, and repairs.
- It makes scope mounting easier and more accurate.
- It can save time and effort compared to mounting a scope without a gun vise.
Steps for Mounting a Scope with a Gun Vise
- Secure the rifle in the gun vise and make sure it’s level.
- Position the scope in the desired location and mark the mounting holes.
- Drill the mounting holes and attach the mounting base to the rifle.
- Attach the scope to the mounting base and secure it with screws.
- Use a bubble level to ensure that the scope is aligned properly.
- Tighten the screws and make sure the scope is secure.
Tools Needed for Scope Mounting
- Gun vise
- Mounting base
- Bubble level
Choosing the Right Gun Vise
- Look for one that is made from durable materials like steel or aluminum.
- Make sure it is adjustable to fit different types of rifles.
- Look for a gun vise with a built-in level.
- Make sure it is large enough to accommodate the rifle you are mounting a scope