Magnesium is an essential mineral for the body and is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions. It is important for physical and mental health, energy production, and muscle and nerve function. Chelated magnesium is a form of magnesium bound to an amino acid, which makes it easier for the body to absorb. In this article, we will discuss the differences between magnesium and chelated magnesium, as well as their benefits and side effects.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is a mineral that is essential for the body and is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions. It is important for physical and mental health, energy production, and muscle and nerve function. Magnesium can be found naturally in foods such as nuts, legumes, whole grains, and green leafy vegetables. It can also be taken as a dietary supplement in the form of tablets, capsules, or powders.
What is Chelated Magnesium?
Chelated magnesium is a form of magnesium that is bound to an amino acid, which makes it easier for the body to absorb. It is available in a variety of forms, including magnesium glycinate, magnesium citrate, and magnesium oxide.
Benefits of Magnesium
- Supports healthy bones and teeth: Magnesium helps to maintain healthy bones and teeth by promoting calcium absorption.
- Improves heart health: Magnesium helps to reduce high blood pressure, regulate heart rate, and reduce inflammation.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: Magnesium helps to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Reduces stress: Magnesium helps to reduce stress and anxiety by increasing the body’s production of serotonin.
- Improves sleep: Magnesium helps to improve sleep quality by promoting relaxation and calming the nervous system.
- Boosts energy: Magnesium helps to boost energy levels by helping the body to convert food into energy.
Benefits of Chelated Magnesium
- Easier to absorb: Chelated magnesium is easier for the body to absorb than other forms of magnesium, making it more effective.
- Improved bioavailability: Chelated magnesium has a higher bioavailability than other forms of magnesium, which means it is more easily absorbed by the body.
- Reduced gastrointestinal discomfort: Chelated magnesium is better tolerated than other forms of magnesium, which can reduce the risk of gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Lower risk of drug interactions: Chelated magnesium has a lower risk of drug interactions than other forms of magnesium, making it safer